The Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG) and GI Cancer Institute are seeking Expressions of Interest from people impacted by Gastro-Intestinal cancer (survivors /patients /carers /family) to join our Consumer Advisory Panel.
Established in 2008, our Consumer Advisory Panel (CAP) comprises GI cancer survivors, patients and carers. As a volunteer group, the CAP provides advice on general research directions and priorities, from the perspective of those directly impacted by GI cancer, as well as identifying unmet needs in the community.
The primary roles of the Panel are to provide the AGITG and GI Cancer Institute with a consumer perspective relating to:
- Relevance of new clinical trial concepts including validity of the overall trial question;
- Ease of understanding the concept lay summary, master Patient Information and Consent Forms and trial results lay summary.
- Identifying gaps in research and new research questions;
- Trial management (via Panel member participation on Trial Management Committees);
- Grant applications (via Panel member participation as Associate Investigators);
- Advising on patient recruitment strategies; and
- Assisting with fundraising activities.
We are looking to diversify and enrich our committees, and we particularly welcome applications from consumers with the following attributes:
- Māori or Pasifika
- Person of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse background
- GIST, oesophageal cancer or stomach cancer experience.
We are looking for people who are able to draw upon their own experiences to help us improve the research that we undertake.
The GI Cancer Institute is a division of the AGITG which raises awareness and funds to support GI cancer research. Panel members are asked to become involved in the activities of the Institute.
Terms of Reference
To view the Consumer Advisory Panel Terms of Reference click here
Membership is initially for a three year period. Participation is voluntary and all expenses are covered. Training is provided. The Panel meets once a month (via videoconference) to review new research concepts and provide feedback from the patient perspective. The Panel also meets as a group at the three-day AGITG Annual Scientific Meeting. All costs to attend meetings are covered by the AGITG.
To learn more about involvement, contact the AGITG via firstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 666 769.
Register your interest
If you are interested in becoming a CAP member please apply using the form below, by 5.00pm AEST Monday 13 June 2022.