The Australasian Gastro-Intestinal Trials Group (AGITG) is a non-profit organisation that conducts research into gastro-intestinal cancer. The AGITG can be contacted by telephone on 1300 666 769 (during office hours) or by email at email@example.com or by post at Locked Bag 77, Camperdown NSW 1450.
The AGITG is an independent non-profit organisation which coordinates clinical trials into gastro-intestinal cancers in collaboration with international research groups. The clinical trials are run by teams of researchers at universities, hospitals and private institutions.
The GI Cancer Institute and the Gutsy Challenge
The GI Cancer Institute and the Gusty Challenge are business names used by the AGITG. The GI Cancer Institute is the charity arm of the AGITG and, together with the Gusty Challenge, raises money for the clinical trials undertaken by the AGITG.
- Collecting your personal information
We may collect personal information about you that is necessary for the purpose of our activities, such as registering members, conducting fundraising, and conducting community support programs and events, including the Gusty Challenge and programs run by the GI Cancer Institute.
The types of personal information we collect and hold include:
- biographical information (e.g. names, titles, relationships and birthdates);
- contact information (e.g. addresses, emails and telephone numbers);
- other information about individuals who participate in our fundraising activities and programs);
- information about an individual’s interests in respect of the AGITG’s functions or research, attendance at AGITG events or donations, gifts or bequests made to AGITG (including payment details and financial information, such as credit/debit card information or other billing information);
- information about prospective employees which is collected during the recruitment process, such as employment history and educational qualifications;
- any other information required by AGITG to build and maintain an appropriate relationship with individuals who have donated to the AGITG or have participated in fund raising and other activities in support of the AGITG.
How information is collected
As far as possible, we will collect personal information directly from you when we deal with you in person, by telephone, letter, facsimile, email or when you visit our website.
For example, we may collect your personal information when you:
- complete online forms from our website www.gicancer.org.au in order to make donations, submit enquiries or complete community forum registrations, membership or newsletter lists;
- make a donation;
- attend or take part in one of our events or fundraising activities;
- purchase our merchandise;
- provide feedback to us; or
- apply for a job or work experience with us.
We may also collect the personal information you submit through online fundraising platforms such as EveryDay Hero, Go Fundraise and MyCause when you register for the Gutsy Challenge or make a donation to AGITG.
In the course of carrying out our functions and activities, we may collect personal information about you indirectly from publicly available sources or from third parties, such as recruitment agencies or entities which refer work or recommend service providers to us. We may also collect personal information, such as your name and contact details, from a list broker for the purposes of conducting fundraising and direct marketing.
- Use and disclosure of information
The purposes for which we may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information include:
- to process donations and issue tax receipts;
- to process applications for membership;
- to conduct the AGITG’s programs and events, including the Gusty Challenge and programs run by the GI Cancer Institute;
- to answer your enquiries;
- to send direct marketing communications to you;
- to send AGITG members electronic monthly organisational updates on research, scientific meetings, workshops and trial updates;
- to invite you to participate in surveys or notify you about our fundraising activities, events or opportunities to support the AGITG, GI Cancer Institute or the Gusty challenge;
- to manage our relationship with you; and
- any related, secondary or ancillary purposes.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we may not be able to fulfil the purpose for which we have requested the information.
As part of the membership application process, which requires applicants to nominate a proposer/seconder to support their application, we may display the names of our members on our website. Members may elect not to have their name published on our website for this purpose by contacting AGITG at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may also collect, use and disclose your information in other ways where permitted or required by law.
Disclosure of your personal information to third parties
In order to provide you with our services and products, we occasionally need to disclose your personal information to agents, contractors and other third parties who support our operation, such as mailing houses, data management providers, providers of marketing and communications, credit card processors and banks in Australia. Some donations to AGITG may be processed off-site by a third party.
If you make a donation to us then we may provide your contact details to other like-minded charities. These organisations may then contact you with information that may be of interest to you. You may elect not to have your information disclosed in this way by ticking the opt out box on our donation forms or contacting GI Cancer Institute/ AGITG directly via email@example.com.
Overseas disclosure of your personal information
We will generally not disclose or transfer your personal information overseas. If this does occur, we will attempt to notify you and will not transfer your personal information overseas unless we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information which is being transferred will not be held, used or disclosed by the recipient of the information in a manner which is inconsistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- Direct marketing
From time to time we may collect and use your personal information to provide you with direct marketing information about our business. You may elect to not receive further information from us by contacting AGITG directly via firstname.lastname@example.org or using the “unsubscribe” facility included in all AGITG promotional emails.
- Security and storage of information
We adopt a range of security procedures to prevent the misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure of your personal information.
If you have utilised our website forms to contact us or to make enquires, donations or payments, your details submitted will also be stored within the website system (with the exception of your full credit card details) and sent via email to AGITG plus a third party who works with AGITG. All donations are processed off-site using our CRM system.
Your personal information is stored in a secure CRM database which is located and maintained in a secure environment and all online information is Norton Secured with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Certification. If you make a donation to the AGITG, we will only collect and store your payment card information in compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard.
For access to the Members Area, limited information, such as your username, email address and password, is stored within the back-end of the website. For our Membership Application Form details including your Title, Full Name, State, Institution and Email are stored in the backend of our website and are utilised within the public webpage within our membership application form https://gicancer.org.au/member-registration/. If you would prefer your data not be stored within the website system or displayed in the Membership Application process, please email email@example.com with your details and relevant message.
While we take the security of your information seriously, we cannot guarantee that your personal information will always be protected from unauthorised access during storage, therefore you provide your personal information to us at your own risk. If you become aware or have reason to believe there has been any unauthorised use of your personal information via our website or in connection with AGITG, please contact us immediately via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information it holds once that information is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the APPs. In some circumstances, we may need to retain certain data for auditing, legal or risk management reasons.
- Access to, and correction of, your personal information
Except in the circumstances set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by contacting our Privacy Officer.
We will do our best to keep personal information accurate, complete and up to date. You have a right to seek correction of your personal information. If you think that any personal information we hold about you needs to be corrected, please contact us at email@example.com or telephone 1300 666 769.
If we refuse to give you access to your personal information, or to correct it, we will notify you in writing and will provide reasons.
If you have any feedback or are concerned about the way we manage personal information that we hold about you, or are concerned that we may have breached your privacy and wish to make a complaint, please contact our Privacy Officer:
Post: Locked Bag M250 Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050
Phone: 1300 666 769 or 02 8036 5221
We will respond in writing to a written complaint within 30 days of receipt.
If your complaint remains unresolved, you have the option of notifying the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Contact details can be found at OAIC’s website: www.oaic.gov.au.
By using this website and by continuing to deal with us, you accept and agree to the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for the purposes described in this Policy.
This policy was last updated in May 2018.