Autumn is the time for warming foods, with a variety of tasty fruits in season such as valencia oranges, passionfruit, pears, apples, figs, mandarins and rhubarb. These fruits are full of vitamins to prepare you for the winter months ahead. Below is the old breakfast favourite,porridge, with seasonal stewed fruit, quick, easy, satisfying and delicious. You can mix this recipe up by changes the fruits you choose.
- 1 cup traditional rolled oats
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups skim milk (or soy/almond milk – look for varieties fortified with calcium when choosing alternative milk product) Instructions and steps:
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Sprinkle of nutmeg
- 1 pear (stewed)
- 2 figs cut into small pieces (can replace fig with raspberries)
- 1/2cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tsp honey
- Place oats, spices and milk into a small saucepan
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium heat, stirring for 5 minutes, or until oats are thick and creamy.
- Pour the cooked oats into a bowl and top with sliced poached pear, fig or raspberries and toasted walnuts and drizzle with honey