Recipe provided by Katie Benton, dietitian and AGITG member
This is a quick and easy snack that can hit the chocolate craving without all the added calories. It can also be used as a great alternative Easter gift idea when placed into small gift jars.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 5 oz of dark chocolate (2 regular sized chocolate bars), broken up into small squares
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
Pop the popcorn and toast the nuts & seeds:
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add a couple of popcorn kernels and cover. When the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels to the pot, cover, and give it a good shake to distribute. Alternative option: Use plain microwave popcorn.
- Once popcorn is ready remove it from the heat immediately, and transfer the popped popcorn to a large mixing bowl.
- While the popcorn is popping, you can toast the nuts and seeds in a dry frying pan for a couple of minutes. Then transfer them to the same large mixing bowl as the popcorn and sprinkle with sea salt.
Melt the chocolate and coat the popcorn mix:
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Using a double saucepan, melt the chocolate while stirring constantly. Alternative option: Microwave the chocolate.
- When the chocolate has completely melted, pour it over the popcorn mixture, and stir it to coat evenly.
- Pour the mixture out onto the tray lined with baking paper and spread it out evenly. Place it in the fridge for about 15 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden, and the you can serve.
- This will keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for at least a week (maybe more).