This recipe also includes legumes. If you are after a vegetarian version, don’t add the chicken.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 slices of ginger finely diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 swede or turnip, peeled, diced
- 1 1/4 cups of legumes of your choice (lentils, chickpeas, butter beans)
- 8 cups Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1kg skinless chicken thighs chopped
- 1 cup of chopped spinach
- 1tsp of Greek yogurt for serving
- ½ cup of chopped parsley
- Sourdough or multigrain bread for serving (optional)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft but not coloured. Add carrot, celery, zucchini and swede. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in legumes, stock, chicken and 1 cup cold water. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 40 mins or until lentils and vegetables are tender. Turn heat off add stir through spinach and parsley.
Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into warmed bowls. Serve with dollop of Greek yogurt and toasted sourdough or wholegrain bread.
Image: @myfoodbook on Instagram