With winter just around the corner, the desire for warming nourishing and nutrient rich food is increasing. This hearty and healthy lamb and veggie soup certainly hits the mark!
Ingredients – serves 6
- 2 lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 3 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 carrots, chopped (extra)
- 3 sticks celery, chopped (extra)
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 swede, chopped
- 1/2 cup soup mix
- 1/2 cup small pasta
- 1 can tomato soup
- Place lamb shanks, onion, celery, carrots and salt into a large stock pot, generously cover with water, and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain stock from lamb and vegetables and set aside to cool. Set lamb shanks aside.
- Once stock has cooled, skim off any fat that sets on the top.
- In a large stock pot, sauté extra carrots and celery, parsnip, and swede in a small amount of oil.
- Add soup mix, pasta, chopped lamb meat, stock and tomato soup. Add extra water to get a consistency you like.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until soup mix and pasta are cooked.
- Add chopped parsley and salt to taste.
- Enjoy with fresh bread!